Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Little Brother

I made a quick trip to Utah this weekend to check in on my little brother. I learned Thursday night that he had been airlifted from Deer Valley Ski Resort to the University of Utah Hospital. He had surgery to repair his jaw that had broken into 4 pieces. He now sports a hi-tech, titanium chin. Top that off with a mouth full of metal and wires that he gets to sport for the next month to keep his mouth wired shut. He looks a bit scruffy since he hasn't shaved in a few days. His face is a bit swollen and he has a manly scar under his chin but to see him at home and to hear him talk was wonderful. Truth-be-told, he looked fantastic.

I Am Grateful For:

. . . a paranoid wife that made her husband wear a ski helmet.
. . . an obedient husband that wore the ski helmet.
. . . the ski gear company that gave him a discount so he bought the helmet.
. . . helicopters.
. . . priesthood blessings.
. . . skilled surgeons.
. . . narcotics.
. . . family close-by.
. . . blenders.
. . . colorful straws.
. . . a brother that I love with all my heart.

7 comments:

JeNeale said...

I am so glad that Mark is doing ok and was better than you expected. I feel almost as anxious as you, I think, when something happens to someone in your family. I hope he continues to heal well.

You are a good sister. :)

Bridget said...

That was so great that you and Becca got to go see him. Yes, we are so relieved that he is going to be OK.

Lynette said...

Phew!!! What a scary weekend! So very glad he is going good. And men like manly scars...so maybe he will ok in the long run!

You are a good sis for taking him fun coloured straws!!! He is lucky to have you!!!

Glad you were able to go down for a quick visit...and very glad you retured home safely!!! Next time call me on your cell...and maybe I can help you stay awake while driving!! Plus...I was probably already awake!!!

XOXOXOXO

Lauralee said...

My younger brother, Brett, and Jay's brother, Jared, have both recently had scary health-related things happen. Like you, I feel so grateful for modern medicine, the priesthood and all that other stuff you mentioned.

Thank you for your comments and interest in my blog and in the life of my family. Besides my sons wearing the clothing your boys grow out of,(thank you!) you have been a dear friend in so many other ways. We love you..

Marisa said...

Oh Laurie, how scary. It's so tremendous to know that with modern medicine and the priesthood, miraculous things can happen. I'm so glad that he's doing ok and I hope that he has a fast recovery!!

Becca said...

I had such a great time with you in Utah. Mark looks better than I had expected. I am so happy he is still alive and well. I love him just like a brother of my own and don't like to se him get hurt or any of your brothers and sister. they are wonderful people and I know they love me as well. I love you!!!!!! Becca N

Mark said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to post on your blog Laur!

Thank you again for coming down to visit me, it seriously meant the world to me. I still remember calling mom and dad on the way home from the hospital when they told me you and Becca were coming down that night. I broke into tears. This was a little scary for me, but having my family around me has made the difference.

I love you guys so very much.

You're the best!

Mark