Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What Pictures Can't Say

I told you that I could go on for days talking about my experiences at Special Olympics. Here goes. Yesterday afternoon I watched the rebroadcast of the Opening Ceremonies on TV. The only part that I was really interested in was when the countries marched in and when they interviewed some of the athletes. It was so fun to recognize the faces of the athletes and coaches from all of the foreign countries.

Here's what the pictures can't say:

As the delegations marched in they were all wearing a light blue and white scarf lovingly hand knitted or crocheted by someone from the Meridian, Idaho Paramount Stake.

Sunday at the history museum, each delegate left with a handmade lap quilt made by the sisters in another local stake. Each quilt included a personal note welcoming the athletes to Idaho and wishing them well in their competitions.

Eric, from Sweden, has a flamboyant personality and loves to sing karaoke. I will never forget hearing the Macarena sung in Spanish with a Swedish accent.

The Kuwaiti's all say "cheese" when they smile for pictures.

Isabelle was quite nervous and shy about heading off with her host family. Gratefully her sister, Jenni, was her coach and was assigned to the same family. After some coaxing they all left the Welcome Center. Saturday, when we saw them next, Isabelle refused to let go of the arm of the mother of the host family.

One of the Chinese delegates asked what the word T-E-S-T-A-M-E-N-T meant while attending Sacrament Meeting with their host family.

3 comments:

JeNeale said...

You have to stop talking about this because it is making me wish I had been there! I love people with Downs. They are so innocent and pure. What a great opportunity to spend time with them and get to peek inside their lives and cultures. Awesome.

Lynette said...

ok...your Isabelle story made me cry!! I too wish I could have done it!

I guess I should have skipped the Thursday night Nasville show and went and got fingerprinted! ARGH!

Wounds like many very neat things happened!!! Wish I could have been there!

Bridget said...

Wow. That sounds pretty cool. And two blog posts for you, back to back nights. UNBELIEVABLE. Go LP!