Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Special Olympics!



Boise, Idaho is hosting the Invitational Winter Special Olympics this week. Athletes and coaches from Romania, Denmark, Czech Republic, Sweden, Austria, China, Germany, Kuwait, and Lebanon arrived early on Friday to get accustomed to the time change and altitude difference. All of the delegations except for Kuwait stayed in the homes of host families Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and part of the day Monday. During this time, there were several activities designed to give the guests a "taste" of the Host Town.

I was invited to help at these activities. What a treat! We attended a Western Hoe Down and Dinner at Bogus Creek Ranch that was fabulous. One of the things I won't soon forget will be watching one of the Chinese athletes spontaneously getting on stage and begin spinning a red and white "doily" on each pointer finger perfectly synchronized to the fiddlers.

Another activity was held at the Idaho Historical Museum where the delegates participated in pioneer activities such as quilting, churning butter, roping cattle, and indian dancing. I got to serve the famous Idaho Ice Cream Potato. You should have seen the looks (Sorry, no pictures. We were told we couldn't take photos because of privacy and security issues) as they stared at what they were being offered. Those looks weren't just from the foreigners.


I could go on for days exclaiming about the experience but I will spare you. Suffice it to say that I loved having the opportunity to participate in a small way. My eyes were opened to so many things. I was once again reminded how similar we all are no matter where on earth we may live. I had the opportunity to display my vast "charades" skills due to the Tower of Babel effect but more often than not the laughs, smiles, and hugs communicated all that needed to be said.

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Sounds like you had such a GREAT time! I am soo glad you got to be involved!!! Can't wait to hear all your stories!!!

I bet they got a kick out of the potato ice cream!!! Would have been fun!!!

Proud of ya girl! You are such a GREAT example to me!!! Love ya!!!

JeNeale said...

Looks like Lynette and I stay up way too late reading blogs!

Wish I could have helped out, but I'm so glad you had the opportunity. Amazing what great things the church does for the people of the world. Shows us what we should all be doing. . .

Bridget said...

How fun! Sounds like a great time. I helped to coordinate the Utah Special Olympics when I was at BYU. Great memories. Love ya! Glad to see you're blogging again.