Sunday, October 5, 2008

SUNBEAMS


I was called a few weeks ago to be the Sunbeam teacher. There are ten, cute, three and four year olds in my class and they are all full of life and personality. I am so excited to be their teacher. Immediately after my call, I started thinking of what I could do for them for their birthdays and for Christmas. Preparing lessons is almost as challenging as when I taught Gospel Doctrine since I must prepare for a multitude of possibilities. The first Sunday I taught, the Primary President poked her head into our classroom to see if everything was okay. She had been tipped off to possible trouble by the kicking on the back wall of our room that unknown to me, shares a common wall with the Primary room. I now know how to call for help!

Awhile ago, I attended a lecture where the following story was shared. I laughed so hard and thought you might like a good laugh yourself. God bless the Sunbeams.

I work part time as a teacher of family doctors. This program provides training on psychiatric disorders and emphasizes the importance of emotional support. The new doctors are given plenty of time in clinic to visit with their patients and learn about their challenges. One of our interns who had never lived in Utah and knows nothing about Mormons is still struggling to understand the cultural climate here. Last week he was interviewing a new patient and stumbled upon what he thought was a raging psychosis.
Doctor: "Well, Mrs. Olsen, we've talked about your high blood pressure and your medications. Are you experiencing any particular stress in your life?"
Patient: "Oh, yes! It's the Sunbeams. They're driving me crazy."
Doctor: (Very surprised) "The sunbeams."
Patient: "Yes. I've never had trouble with them before, but this group won't sit still. They bounce all over the room, and run out the door and down the hall."
Doctor: (Reaching for a pen) "Have you told anyone about this?"
Patient: "Of course. I told the president."
Doctor: "Really! What did the President tell you?
Patient: "She said Sunbeams are like that. I'm just going to have to learn to deal with them."
Doctor: (Concerned that he may be missing something) "I know people who are sensitive to sunbeams. Do they cause you to rash or anything?"
Patient: (Confused) "A rash? No."
Doctor: "What's the biggest problem they're creating?"
Patient: "It's the noise. They just won't quit talking."
Doctor: (Astonished) "The sunbeams are talking to you?"
Patient: "Well, yes. But mostly to each other."
Doctor (Scribbling furiously in the chart) "I see. Can anyone else hear them talking?"
Patient: (After a moment of stunned silence) "You're not LDS, are you?"

9 comments:

Bridget said...

I wish little Cole were in your class. I shouldn't say that. Then you would truly go insane. I am sure you are fantastic. I remember hearing that story about the woman and the non-lds doctor when I lived in Utah. It is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Yippee for me!!! I just found your blog through Lynette's! How fun. . .teaching Sunbeams is my dream calling- love those sweet little rascals. How I wish you were Lilly's teacher. . .what a treat. I miss you and love you tons!! I'm hoping you come up to camp and keep me well and give me meds when needed!! Let's keep in better touch- I started a blog, too. Thought my kids might like to know what they did when they were growing up. I'm a terrible journal writer!! Love Ya

Lynette said...

hehehe, your story made me giggle! And I wish I was in your class too!!!

Andi said...

That's awesome, I love it! It's definitely a whole different world here!

Melissa said...

Oh, the SUNBEAMS! I love them and that was the cutest story! I bet you are the best teacher. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog~I didn't know you were such a Sonic girl~makes me like you even more :) The diet cherry limeaide is my fav too, but you've got to try it with strawberries in it...yummmm

SILLYA said...

What a fun calling... Good for them, they have a great teacher. Cute story, good laugh.
Celia

Marisa said...

You will be a fantastic Sunbeam teacher! I'm so glad that Jensen and Audrey were able to give you so much practice. :) You think Nacho Doritos will work for the Sunbeams too?

The Legg Fam said...

Love it!! If I remember right we have some great shots of Daniel, when he was a Sunbeam, with his finger so far up his nose, we thought it would never see the light of day. Love ya, Cork

Heather Leigh said...

Just found your blog through MeKayla Gibson's - so...Daniel's at BYU, eh? Tell him if he ever gets a hankerin' for a homemade meal to look us up in Hooper (just an hour north...near Lagoon). We'd love to have him over! Feel free to stop if you're ever needing a pit stop west of Ogden!! :) Love and miss ya!